As the Unit 12 production project draws to a close I will be evaluating my performance and contributions made throughout. For the project I took on the role as producer and artist. To meet the criteria for the artist role I had to perform live as well as play on the two recorded tracks. As a producer I also had manage recording sessions and help mix / master towards the end of the project.
‘Ground’ – The song ground was composed by myself and my group member Jack Weston. For this track I performed and recorded the piano instrumental. For many of the recording sessions I also undertook my role as producer to keep the workflow in studio efficient and within the given timeframe. I also applied a variety of mixing and mastering techniques using multiple Waves and Logic plugins to polish the overall sound of the track.
‘Travel Size’ – The groups second song travel size was composed by Jack Weston and produced by me and Harrison Lloyd. I also played part of the percussion throughout the song and ensured the recording sessions were structured and organised. I spent lots of time in studio experimenting with a variety of waves plugins and iZotope Ozone when mixing and mastering in order to achieve the highest quality sound possible.
The End Result:
The overall outcome of the project was an all round successful performance and album release. The performance was recorded live in front of an audience at the Underground Theatre. The venue was chosen by us as a year group and planned over the first few weeks of the project.
Our groups performance was overall strong and we played well together. Our drummer Harrison Lloyd remained in time with the rhythm guitar and piano chords throughout the song. Vocalist and guitarist Jack Weston co-ordinated the rhythm guitar and fingerpicking with the piano I was playing throughout the song. It was my role to play throughout the song and also include an improvised solo towards the end of the song to extend the running time.
The performance featured a variety of different genres including: rock, acoustic, metal and more. Students not only performed at the gig but also engineered during setup and takedown. The album release and deign was planned by students. An artist was commissioned specifically to design for the artwork and was discussed by a group of us before release.
If the project was done again there are a few things I would do differently to further improve my work. Firstly, I would ensure that the composition process was more organised from the start. When I was composing the first song there were many changes made before the final song was written. Ideally this composition process could have been done quicker to allow more time for recording and mixing. This was noticeable when we had to record the drum tracks as we did not have time to re-record and achieve the perfect sound. As I took the role of producer in the project I would also ensure that the recording sessions were slightly more organised as sometimes the process would go off track.
As for the performance the overall outcome was as desired. If I was to change anything I would ensure a more thorough rehearsal before the gig to polish the overall sound.