Extended Music Project Progress (24/03/17)

Today’s session involved experimenting with various different percussive instruments. We collected these instruments from the tech office and tried out different playing techniques fro each.

For our track we decided to only use a shaker, Cabasa and the sides of a acoustic guitar (images below). Together these instruments fit the track well and gave it its acoustic style. We were able to fully record these sections in one recording session as they were relatively simple.

The percussion from the acoustic guitar was created using various taps against the body of the guitar. I also happened to have a ring on my finger which created a different sound for some of the taps.




Extended Music Project Progress (20/03/17)

Today we started the recording process for our second song composed by my group member Jack ‘Travel’. This song will keep the same acoustic style as our other track but will not feature drums. Instead we will using various percussion such as taps on the guitar, shakers and tambourines.

We were able to record the final guitar tracks relatively quickly as our guitarist was well prepared. The track was recorded in one take and had a natural warm sound. We had the NT2A on the base of the guitar and another Audio Technica mic on the neck to pick up the smaller details on the fret board.

Next session we will be recording the percussion and experimenting with different mic placement techniques.

On location Recording Practice (24/03/17)

Today we were able to have practice recording on location in order to create drum samples. We helped a university student who works here at the college with this for the industry experience. We used 2 Neumann microphones to record the room and the D112 for the tom drum itself.

The aim of the session was to record drum samples in with a specific reverb sound. The location that was chosen was a nearby stairwell in the college.


Extended Music Project Progress (17/03/17)

In today’s session we completed ‘Ground’. All tracks have now been recorded and the track is ready for production.

This session involved polishing certain vocal portions with re-recordings and double tracks. The main focus of the session though was creating an efficient bass track. We experimented using a bass guitar through the pre-amp in studio but the desired sound could not be achieved. We decided that a synth bass suits the song better. The synth had a mellow basic sound so that it did not overpower the other tracks.

Next week we will begin recording our second track which is composed and ready to be played.

Extended Music Project Progress (16/03/17)

Today I learn’t new skills about how to effectively use space and delay designer. I learn’t this in a one to one session with my tutor and trough experimenting with my own project.

Space Designer:

Below is an labelled image of the Space Designer plugin. It is used to design the space in which the sound is played in. Through the plugin you are able to change the wet / dry signal, bit rate of the reverb, filter, EQ, stereo spread and various other effects. I experimented with the use of the plugin on a demo vocal track. When using the appropriate reverb style with this track the vocal sounded substantially more natural and polished. I also adjusted the bit rate of the reverb and experimented with the volume envelope.

Delay Designer:

The Delay Designer can be closely used with Space Designer to create a very accurate virtual space. The white line shown on the main display is when the delay kicks in (measured in milliseconds). These are know as ‘taps’ and can be added manually or by adding them in real time. The delay generated can be transposed or have various other effects applied such as how long the sound resonates.


After learning about these techniques I applied them to our song ‘Ground’ in studio. While I was learning these techniques my group member Jack was finishing the vocal recordings in studio.

In tomorrows session we will be finishing the recording stage of the track.

Extended Music Project Progress (13/03/17)

This week we aim to finish the recording of the first song ‘Ground’. During today’s session we began the final vocal tracking process. We used the NT2A condenser microphone for this to capture a clear natural sound.

Our vocalist Jack was in the live room running the microphone through the stage box. To achieve a higher quality recording we used the TL audio pre-amp instead of going through the desk pre-amp. Due to our previous experience in studio we knew how to patch in the per-amp without any complications.

We will be finishing the rest of the vocal tracks during Thursdays session.

Extended Music Project Progress (03/03/17)

Today we were able to record the final drum tracks using various new mic placement and recording techniques. This was our second time recording this part of the song due technical issues in the last session. This time we used different microphone placement. This applied to the snare drum, overhead microphones and kick drum. We used two microphones for the kick (D112 / SM58) for a punchier sound and adjusted the placement of the overhead and snare mic’s. We also changed the crash symbol size due to it not giving the desired sound.

I also learnt how to use some of the outboard gear such as the C-5021 compressor. This gave the recording a punchy natural sound when recording. Below are some images of the setup process and the initial recordings.